Many people have a vague notion about digital marketing—what it is, what it entails, and what it means for your business. Here are some of the more common questions people have, along with detailed answers.
What Is Digital Marketing?
Like any other type of marketing, digital marketing is a way to connect with and influence potential customers. With digital marketing, however, you connect with those potential customers online. Digital marketing refers to online marketing efforts or assets. It can include pay-per-click advertising, blogging, and social media. These are all ways digital marketers introduce people to a company and try to convince them to buy.
Other digital marketing assets can include:
- Your website
- Video content, including ads, product demonstrations, and messages for customers
- Images, including infographics, product photographs, and company photos
- Written content, including blogs, eBooks, testimonials, and product descriptions
- Social media pages
Digital marketing strategies can include the following:
- Pay-per-click advertising, such as Google AdWords and Facebook Ads
- Paid search advertising, such as running text ads on Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs) to target potential customers who are actively looking for a product or service like yours
- Search engine optimization (SEO), which you can use to get your pages to rank higher in searches organically (without paying)
- Paid social media advertising, such as that found on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Social media marketing
- Content marketing, which can include blog posts, eBooks, articles, and videos
- Email marketing
- Affiliate marketing
How Would My Business Benefit From Digital Marketing?
When a business gets started, its focus is on getting those first customers. The business owner believes in the product or service they are selling, and they might think that once word gets out, it’s only a matter of time before they get busy. And this strategy might bring in a trickle of customers, but overall it is not very effective. It misses out on the vast marketplace of potential online customers.
Using digital marketing, you can reach an enormous audience in ways that are cost-effective and able to be measured. Other benefits of online marketing include:
- You can interact with prospects to find out exactly what they are looking for. This can help create brand loyalty.
- You have the ability to reach a huge, global marketplace.
- You can save money and reach more potential customers than you could with traditional marketing.
- You can track and measure the results of your online marketing efforts immediately.
- If you are a new business and are avoiding digital marketing until you are more established, there is no reason to wait. Your potential customers are already online—and they are probably already searching for a business just like yours. If they cannot find you online, they might assume your business is not legitimate.
How Often Should I Update My Website?
If you run an internet search of this question, most sources will recommend that you update your website every three years or so. Theoretically, updating your site will help keep audiences engaged with your brand. But the answer isn’t really as simple as all that. You should be using analytic tools to help you understand what your users want and to make their lives easier. This is referred to as growth-driven design.
Growth-driven design means you don’t have to do a complete overhaul of your site every few years. It refers to continuous, ongoing updates that don’t take as much time and give you smaller improvements than a complete overhaul. It lets you tackle your priorities first rather than having to address everything all at once.
What Is Content Marketing?
According to Forbes
, people feel like they should know what content marketing is so they are too embarrassed to actually find out. Content marketing is simply creating and distributing relevant, valuable content to attract a specific audience. Content can take many forms:
- Infographics, which generally include statistics, charts, graphs, and other information valuable to your target audience
- Web pages, which can be optimized for search engine optimization
- Podcasts and videos, which you can provide for free but that can lead to sales of your product or service
- Books, which savvy marketers use as marketing tools rather than just selling books to sell books
How Often Do I Need to Publish Blog Posts on My Website?
The goal of blog posts is to help generate traffic to a website. This is not an overnight process. You will not see an immediate increase in traffic tomorrow just by posting a blog today. You need to commit yourself to a slow and steady climb—and you’ll probably need to blog regularly for at least 12 to 18 months before you’ll be able to assess just how successful you’ve been.
When you first start a blog, once or twice a week is helpful. You will need to write blog posts that are aimed at our target market. Research the appropriate keywords to use in your posts—but be sure you don’t overuse them. You’ll probably have to write quite a few blog posts before you start ranking in Google.
It’s a good idea to develop a blogging schedule—and stick to it. Share your blog posts on your social media channels. If people like your blog posts because they are informative and current, they are more likely to return to your blog—so be sure you have fresh new content for them to read when they come back. The more blog posts you publish, the more traffic to your website you can expect in time.
Do you want to bring your business to the next level by creating a digital marketing strategy? Give us a call! The experts at Denver Website Designs are here and ready to help with your digital marketing campaign whenever you are ready. Our team of digital marketing strategists can help your Denver business—and businesses anywhere—increase your client base. Find out more about how your new digital marketing strategy might work by giving them a call at 303-498-9000 to schedule an appointment!